OCTOBER 2020 NEWSLETTER
The world is still in a state of flux and confusion as to how to cope with the Covid pandemic but fortunately South Africans are at relative liberty to go back to an almost pre-Covid life which happily includes some fantastic local opportunities such as our trips to the Orange River this year and to Rocktail Bay in 2021.
Unfortunately international travel is a bit of a minefield as protocols vary from one country to another, as well as from airline to airline. Having said that, as things stand right now, our two trips to the northern atolls of the Maldives in February and March next year are still very much an option to be considered, but more about that later.
RECENT TRIP REPORT
Rocktail Bay Fly fishing workshop:
For several years the Rocktail Beach Camp has been the ideal venue for our fly fishing workshops but it has sadly been closed due to contractual disagreements. We have been given an alternative venue, the Research Camp that is currently being upgraded by the previous management partners of the Rocktail Beach Camp.
Accompanied by friend Richard Lamble, we recently did a three-night trip to evaluate the suitability of the Research Camp as a base for future saltwater workshops in this area. It goes without saying that during our time there, we made the most of the ideal surf conditions as very strong south westerly winds had whipped the surf into a frenzy. Early morning sessions produced fine catches of brassy, bigeye and bluefin kingfish and one small GT. Although the really big GTs were very scarce, this area is still one of the most likely places on our coast to target these giants on fly. In my book, this is the ultimate fly fishing challenge.
The Research camp has been reserved for two saltwater workshops in 2021, planned to coincide with prime GT season and ideal spring tides. It is ideally suited to our needs due to the following factors:
- The camp consists of four very comfortable en-suite bungalows, a boma/kitchen/dining area and a swimming pool for a maximum of six guests
- The is camp is reserved for our exclusive use for the duration of the two workshops planned for early next year. Please see dates and information below.
- It is ideally situated for easy access to all the regular fishing spots and this will enable quicker access to and from the camp.
- 4×4 transport is provided for all fishing sessions
- All meals will be planned to coincide with our fishing schedule
Orange River – Egerton River Camp
Our 2020 season at his unique venue is fully booked and I look forward to another
successful season in 2021.
Maldives – Northern Atolls 2021
Due to the Covid 19 pandemic we had to cancel one of the 2021 trips and remain hopeful that the two remaining trips will go ahead as international travel protocols become more user-friendly.
Trip details are as follows:
9 – 15 FEBRUARY 7 NIGHTS BOAT: GAHAA COST: $4000 pp 3 RODS OPEN
10 – 21 MARCH 12 NIGHTS BOAT: GAHAA COST: $4600 pp 3 RODS OPEN
Please note the following:
- The cost per person on the boat Gahaa is for full board and shared accommodation.
- The cost for the 9-15 February 2021 trip includes domestic flights
- All trip costs exclude international flights, bar and gratuities
- All trips will be hosted by myself
- To see our new promo video about our trips to the northern atolls of the
Maldives, please follow this link. https://youtu.be/sjWf2fI1GJc
Please note the following:
In conjunction with our suppliers and service providers, we are marketing all the trips advertised in this newsletter on the clear undertaking and the full guarantee that if any said trip is cancelled due to Covid 19 related restrictions (irrespective of the date relative to the start of the trip) all monies paid by clients to Ufudu Fly Fishing for the cancelled trip, will be refunded in full.
Rocktail Bay/Research Camp: Saltwater Fly fishing Workshops.
I am pleased to announce the dates of our 2021 workshops at this ideal and exclusive new venue. The dates coincide with ideal seasonal and tidal conditions for those intrepid fly anglers who wish to target GTs or a variety of kingfish species in our challenging surf conditions. Th ese intensive four-night workshops are also designed for those anglers who are new to the salt or anglers wanting to improve their catch rates in the surf zone.
The trip details are as follows:
27 – 31 JANUARY 2021 4 RODS OPEN R11300PP SHARING
26 FEBRUARY – 2 MARCH 2021 6 RODS OPEN R11300PP SHARING
The costs include:
- Four nights full board at the exclusive Research Camp
- All hosted fly fishing and tutorials by myself
- All 4×4 transport to the fishing venues
- A complementary pack of proven flies
The costs exclude:
- Transport to Research Camp
- Park fees (if any)
For more information regarding the above trips, please do not hesitate to contact me.
LAST WORD: The fly is but one ingredient in the recipe of catching a fish. Stay safe and healthy.